Thursday, February 11, 2010

Temptation, Part 2

One of the first lessons I learned years ago, as a new Christian, was something about the nature of sin...  I will never forget reading in James one morning and coming to the verses James 1:13-15, "When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; 14 but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. 15 Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death."

It was verse 15 that really grabbed my attention...  "After desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin..."   Desire and temptation do not equal sin...   It struck me that there must be, at least, a moment between the desire being conceived and sin being born.  So I had to learn to grab hold of that moment...

When God first led me to that verse, I was a 'yeller.'  I allowed my anger to grab hold of me and I would yell, or sometimes rage, at my children or even my husband.  But shortly after I became a Christian, God touched my heart that I was sinning and He broke my heart as He caused me to start looking into their eyes when I would yell at them...  So I became desperate to find a way to break that pattern of anger.

As I realized that there was a moment between desire and sin, I started praying that I would learn to grab hold of that moment and make a different choice.  It didn't happen overnight...   I had to learn to recognize the warning signs ...  There are always warning signs...   maybe they're physiological, the body tensing, the stirring in the pit of your stomach, or maybe they're emotional...  boredom, sadness, frustration, discouragement...   but they are ALWAYS there!

To recognize the warning signs though, I had to learn to live more intentionally, instead of just letting life carry me along.  But in time, I learned (by His Power), to grab hold of that moment and make a different choice.  Our home became a much more peaceful place.

I'm sorry to say that there are other areas where I have not applied that so well, but all things in their time.  And some of those things have their time THIS year!!  It is time, once again, to learn to grab hold of that moment between desire and sin, and make a different choice.  I'm tired of life living me...carrying me along...  I want to live life...  I want to live intentionally...  That is the only way I will ever live a life that  pleases and glorifies God...  It is the only way I will live a life of victory!

No comments: