Thursday, July 8, 2010

A Great Man Passed By...

It's funny, on sad days, the things that leave lasting impressions on your heart...  When my grandfather Pop died, it was a young State Trooper who pulled over at an old grocery store, removed his hat and waited for the funeral procession to pass...  12 years later, I can still see that young man standing by the side of the road, with his hat held over his heart.  I wish I knew who he was so I could thank him for honoring my grandfather in such a humble way.

And then on Tuesday, just a little over 12 years later, it was the honor and respect of strangers, on the side of the road that grabbed my heart...  My uncle, my grandfather's best friend, went home to be with Jesus and I will never forget the images of so many cars pulled over or the picture of a father, holding the hand of his young son in their front yard, waiting as another great man passed by...

I know these people didn't know who was passing, but if they had, they would have been glad they took the time to show respect and honor for a grieving family today...

I have been blessed in my life, to have my heart touched by some amazing men, but my grandfather and my uncle are unrivaled with the legacy of faith they have left behind for all who knew them... 

These two men loved Jesus with all of their hearts and that love overflowed on everyone who knew them...  They both breathed the Spirit of Jesus into the air, everywhere they went...  There is no telling how many lives were impacted, maybe even completely transformed, because they made Jesus so very real...

One of the most special things that my aunt and uncle always did for me is that they would come to see us, when we were in town...  They didn't wait for us to come to their house, they were so graciously understanding of how hard it was to get around to see everyone and they made a point to see us...  I will never forget, when we brought Abby home and I went to see my grandmother, they made a point to come and meet the newest member of our family...  They loved her before she ever arrived and that love overflowed onto her that sweet afternoon..

I have so many great memories of times spent with my aunt and uncle...  Trips to the beach and to the mountains...  Sweet conversations about our faith...  Christmases and Thanksgivings...  Easters...  Weddings...  Births...and even Funerals...  Summer afternoons on their screened porch on an old metal glider...  There are so many memories that flash across my heart as I think about my aunt and uncle...  My life has been so blessed by an amazing family...so full of laughter and smiles...  grace and unconditional love...

Uncle F...  I will miss you SO much... Thank you for all of your prayers for me and my family...  For sweet talks and lots of smiles and hugs...  But most of all, thank you for the imprint that you left on my heart...  The imprint of the love of Jesus...  I hope you're having peaches and watermelon with Pop and Jesus right now!

4 comments:

sierrasmom said...

Sharlam I am so sorry for your loss. You have wtitten a beautiful tribute and his memories and love will live on in you and your love for your Father!!!
Hugs to you
Kathie

Anonymous said...

Yes indeed, another "great man passed by". What precious memories he left with us and for us. Oh how he was loved.

Love you,
Mom

trina said...

What a blessing to have someone in your life like him. I know you will miss him.

Jeff said...

Nice tribute, Sharla. Sorry for your loss.