Thursday, September 29, 2011

Miracles Still Happen!

Last night something happened that 6 weeks ago I really didn't think would be possible...  I'll spare you repeating the details of Zack's injury (you can scroll down to other posts if you've missed what happened to him), but in those initial weeks, I prayed hoping, but honestly, I was struggling to believe it would really happen...  It wasn't a question of whether or not God could heal him quickly, but I also knew that God doesn't always choose to intervene in the natural course of life and I had to come to a place where that was ok too...

I learned that letting go and opening your hand to whatever God has planned is a process... a moment by moment decision, not a one time act...  I learned that when I trust God and believe He is good, no matter what the circumstances look like, it is a much easier place to walk than struggling against what life holds...  Joy is a choice and it will flood into our hearts when we let go and just let God be God... 

I am so thankful that God has chosen to intervene in the natural course of healing and last night Zack played in his first game of his senior year...  If you could have seen the initial wound, you would understand why this is truly a miracle...  (If you want to see it, let me know and we'll text you a photo...  just be prepared though, you'll get an anatomy lesson on the lower part of the leg!)

Thought you might like to see some photos...

Back in his role as one of the captains...


Waiting to go onto the field...  I can't even describe how fast my heart was beating!  There's something so lonely about this picture to me...  It was a hard thing to do, and yet it was something he had to do by himself...  As a mom, I wanted to hug him...  tell him to 'kick butt'...  encourage him... but it was one of those moments where all I could do was watch and pray...




His best friend (who is our goalie) game him a hug when he came onto the field (so did R's younger brother)...  I love those boys!!  It was special to watch his teammates welcome him back!  They are a great group of guys!!



His first big quick...  The inside of his right ankle is where the injury is so it takes the full impact of almost everything...  It looked great after the game though!!



His first foul... the other team was screaming for a Yellow Card... Zack is back!





I was really dreading his first slide tackle!

Zack had great care...  He used wisdom in caring for his injury...  He had a fantastic doctor...  But my greatest thanks is to everyone who prayed for him because ultimately, all of this was in God's hands...  And while I am so thankful to have the blessing and pleasure of watching him play in his senior season, I am even more thankful for all the terrible things that were avoided...  Infection...skin graft...  I could go on and on...  To God be the glory...

4 comments:

Gwen Smith said...

Sharla!

We share in your joy and are so blessed to hear of God's goodness as you were led to trust moment by moment. Thankfully, Psalm 84 reminds us that "blessed are those whose strength is in the Lord... and He leads us from strength to strength. Gotta love it.

Hugs, Happy Dances and Blessings,
Gwen

Naomi said...

What great pictures! I shall have to share these with my boys who love 'football' too! We look forward to meeting you all hopefully in December.

Thank you also for the Blog Button! It looks great! Alexis is so talented!

Jennifer said...

Great pics, Sharla!! How exciting...I know you burst with pride watching your son play...it's such a joy. :)

Amy said...

I have been following the story all along, but to see him out of that soccer field after what he went through...I just have to say Praise God! Not that his healing was all about soccer, but that he could be out there just demonstrates God's abilities as the Great Physician. Completely amazing.