Thursday, September 8, 2011

THE END of the DMV Story...

Before I tell you what happened today at the DMV, I just have to tell you what Nick told me that happened in the testing area while he was waiting for me (to fail my road test last week)...

A very, VERY senior lady came in to renew her license...  She couldn't read the first three lines of the vision test...  So she said, "Wait, let me try these other glasses."  At which point she pulled out a pair of glasses that were so big Nick thought they were sunglasses.  The DMV officer said, "Mam, you do wear those glasses when you drive don't you?"  "Oh, no...  they told me I didn't have to."  "But mam, your license clearly says that you HAVE to wear those glasses."

Conclusion, she's been driving around for 4-8 years, however long she's had her current license, NOT wearing the glasses that help her see.  And then from there, she proceeded to miss most of the signs on her sign test...  And yep, you probably already guessed it...  they renewed her license!!

So today, I needed my license, Zack needed his over 18 license and Nick still needed to get his permit, so Scott decided to take us all (he was concerned if I failed again, they might not let me drive home!)...

We arrived at the same office as last week to find a note on the door that they were closed today for employee training (won't help I bet!)...  So we went to another office that was close by...  Same situation!   So we took off to an office out in the country, about 35 minutes away...  FRUSTRATION doesn't even begin to describe how we felt...

We waited our turn and finally, I got my second try at the road test...  The lady was so kind...  We got into the car and I said, "Mam, if it's ok, I'd like to leave my GPS in the window.  The man failed me last week because he said I was speeding.  But the way my speedometer sits, it casts a shadow and looks like I'm driving 5 miles faster than I really am."

Get this... She said, "Oh honey, you don't have to worry about a thing...  You had that mean old man down at the other office... I'm not like that...  You wouldn't believe how many people come up here because of him!"

When I finished the test (even though I couldn't back in a straight line), she patted my arm and said, "You did just fine...just fine."  Of course, I'm thinking... "Yea, and I thought the guy last week was nice, what if she's just messing with me?"

I walked back into the DMV office and Nick looked at me and his eyes said, "Well?"  I just shrugged my shoulders because I was so afraid it was going to be like last week and she was going to walk through the door, pull off her nice lady personality to reveal the DMV shark lurking beneath...  But thankfully, she was TRULY a very nice lady...

So I am once again a licensed driver...  WAHOO...  I will be grafitti painting the expiration date of my new license on some wall of the house!  (Just kidding!)  Seriously though, if you haven't already, go check the expiration date on your license!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I checked mine last week after your experience----so glad you are legally driving!!!