Tuesday, January 27, 2009

We Had TOO Much Fun!!

Tonight we celebrated the Chinese New Year...last night was a soccer night so we had to wait until tonight and it was a blast! Abby really opened up about China and I spent 3 1/2 hours making pork dumplings! Yep...for those of you who know me personally, that was 3 1/2 hours!! (Cooking is not my favorite activity!)

Someday, Abby will understand what an act of love that is, every time I make her dumplings!

DSC_7656

And I can't believe I'm going to post this picture of my rear end, but it was just too funny...yes, I wipe my hands on my pants when I cook!!

DSC_7676

The girls had so much fun...they were a great help folding all of those dumplings...it was clear Abby had done this before!

DSC_7659

DSC_7661

I splurged on decorations at Party City and decorated the dining room... Who knew when I painted it red, 5 years ago, before we had ever even considered adoption, that it would be the perfect color to celebrate Chinese New Year!

DSC_7665

(Yes, there is an empty picture frame waiting for us to finally frame some art we brought back from China...those walls look so bare...)

DSC_7667

Next, the girls cleaned up and put on their Chinese outfits... (Well, Mackenzie's is just a top.)

DSC_7673

Abby, we are so blessed to be able to celebrate the Chinese New Year with you! It was an honor to cook something you love and an utter joy to watch you eat your weight in dumplings!! You will never know how excited I was when you tasted the first one and said, "Taste gooood, mommy!"

We love you!

DSC_7675

I pray that this year is blessed beyond your wildest imagination!

7 comments:

trina said...

What a wonderful idea!! You will have to teach me how to make dumplings. We still have not celebrated...all still sick. Hopefully, soon! I'm impressed...that Abby approved. And the keaster shot...that's too funny. That picture says it all! Abby will love it someday.

Anonymous said...

WOW, I am impressed.
I am impressed with all of it, from the kitchen (labor of love) the decorations, and then Abby---the joy and happiness that is seen in that sweet face.

Love you all.
Mom

Ruthi said...

Sharla I will NOT be showing my girls the homemade dumplings...I figured out they sell these at the store! You did a great job celebrating! I love the decorations! Ruthi

Diane said...

WOW! Love the decorations. I can't show my girls the dumplings, because I cheated and ordered take-out (I even had Thai because I could not resist). Abby is absolutely beautiful!
Diane

Patientlywaiting said...

Wow, it looks like you all had a lot of fun. I am impressed that you made the dumplings. I haven't been that adventureous yet. Love the decorations too. You could tell that Abby felt special by the light in her eyes!

Hugs,
Robin

April Isaacs said...

I knew there was something deeper that drew us into friendship... We BOTH WIPE OUR HANDS ON OUR PANTS!! I love it!! Thanks for showing:-) Cracking up!

You are such a great mom. We read about Chinese New Year here. That's about it! I figure Emme doesn't know anyway yet! Plus, she'd probably just throw all the food I would make up anyway!:-)

You'll have to tell me how to make dumplings some day!

Happy Chinese New Year!
Hugs,
April

Texannette said...

Wonderful!!! Abby is lovely~~as are all your children!!

Love the blog!!