Friday, January 14, 2011

Thirst Maker...

For many years I have thought of those who know God in a really special way, as 'thirst makers...'  They make me thirsty to know and experience God as they do (or did) as evidenced through their lives, writings, etc...  Andrew Murray...  A.W. Tozer...  Steven Curtis Chapman...  My Pop Charlie...  My mom...  My aunt and uncle (S & S), and my Pastor...  and those are just a few!  I have been so blessed to be surrounded by so many who each have a unique and special relationship to God and teach me new dimensions of what's possible...

Funny thing though...  I've never thought of Kind David as a thirst maker!  I guess I'm kind of slow...  Paul has always been that person for me in Scripture...  and Isaiah...  Peter... John...  even Job...  But for some reason, never David, until now...

I think my problem with David has always been that he seemed kind of whiny to me...  an emotional basket case...  And frankly, I thought he was pretty vindictive against his enemies...  Until today...

I was reading Psalm 43 when the light bulb finally came on...  David wasn't whiny and vindictive...  He was transparent and trusting!  He took his problems to the throne...  Maybe not 100% of the time, but as I'm starting to see, it was dependency on and desperation for God that characterized his life.

And I'm sure that David was more than capable of handling things on his own if he had chosen...  He was king...  There's no doubt that he was intelligent...  strong...  wealthy...  and that he had an army at his beck and call...  But the Psalms are teaching me that he didn't rely on those things, but on God!

Far too often I find myself relying on my own strength and abilities, rather than waiting on God.  And the ridiculous thing is that anything I'm gifted at, is only because HE gifted and equipped me!  HE is the ONE who prepared me for the works and purpose of my life, so why wouldn't I wait and rely on Him? 

So as I continue my journey through the Psalms and seeking to know God more, I will also continue to let David inspire me and teach me how to live in relationship to our amazing God who loves us so much and who longs to be our EVERYTHING... 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I am blown away that I am included with the "Thirst Makers". I do thank you for such an outstanding compliment.

I do love David, he has always been one of my favorite. Some time ago I read something about David and since them I think of it so often----2nd Samuel says that "he danced before God with all of his might". Can you imagine doing something before God with all of your might---I am not sure I ever have---a few prayers come as close as anything.
Thanks again for what you said. Love you,
Mom