Thursday, August 11, 2011

Getting The Facts Straight!


So I think today is the day I’m going to get on my soapbox…  I’m sure I’ll step on a few toes on the way up, but oh well, I’m tired of being silent while people make some statements that are just NOT grounded in facts...

Statements (or should I say criticisms) like “You know, we have poor in America that you could serve?”  I  actually had a man, a TSA agent, criticize me in the airport a couple of years ago for going to Africa while there are people in need right here at home…

Or the way too common (definitely not informed) lament over how much aid is given to foreign countries, when we have our own starving, homeless, etc., right here in America…  I see it all the time on FB.  Just the other day, a friend of mine expressed a desire to go to Somalia because she was broken hearted over the circumstances there…  Another ‘friend’ of hers actually berated her for her compassion and went off on all the ‘aid’ we give to foreign countries while we have people in need right here at home…

So let’s talk about that and try and get some facts straight…

First, the average income in America is $27,041/year (2009 Census Bureau Numbers) and in Swaziland, it’s $2,280 (Numbers from World Vision)...  That's 92% lower!!

So how does the cost of living compare between Swaziland and the US?  Well, of course it's lower and while I couldn't find a lot of numbers, I learned that rent prices in Swaziland are 46% lower than the US and groceries are 44% lower... But with an income that's 92% lower than ours, it gives a whole new meaning to poverty!


I’ve met teenagers who prostitute themselves to feed the siblings that they’re raising because their parents have died…  I’ve seen a mother feed her 3 year old daughter a rotten banana off a garbage dump…  I’ve met a grandmother who comes to the dump to get food for her grandchildren that she’s raising…  I’ve met young men who search the dump for meat bones, pull off whatever’s left and cook it at the dump…  Dinner anyone?  But heaven forbid we help them out since we have hungry people right here at home…

In America, 14.3% of the population live below the poverty line…  In Swaziland, 69% live below the poverty line…

I know that there are some pretty terrible situations in America, but frankly, America is unbelievably wealthy, even in a down economy… there is just no excuse for anyone to be hungry here… how is it that we can’t support 14.3% of our population… 

The people of Swaziland, and many other countries like them, don’t even have a population of ‘middle classers’…  For crying out loud, 69% of their population is below the poverty line… how on earth are they supposed to find the resources to help each other?

Ok, so let’s talk about giving…  People seem to think that so much of the National Budget goes to foreign aid…  In one poll, the average American ASSUMED that our government gives 25% of the National Budget to foreign aid...  Talk about MIS-informed!  Guess what?  It’s only 1.1%...  We’re definitely NOT giving away the store…  To our own population, it’s between 5.4% and 6%...  It seems that we spend as much, if not more on debt service than we do caring for our poor…  

And individual giving?  Lest anyone think that tons is being given by the individual giver to global issues…  It’s ONLY 3%...  The majority of our charitable giving stays right here at home…

So, it’s time to stop picking on those who have a heart for others in our international community (and wrongly assuming that we don't do anything at home)…  Find your passion, whether in the USA, or globally (this world would never work if we all had the same passion)…  And then when you find it, serve there with your whole heart… 

5 comments:

Patientlywaiting said...

Very well said my friend! I agree 100%. I hear the same about adoption, why adopt internationally when their are kids here that need homes? We must all do what God has called us to do not what society thinks we should do.

Hugs,
Robin

Naomi said...

You are absolutely right. Thank you for giving us all the statistics. I think it is about time that numbers were thrown out to prove the facts. America is the most affluent country I have ever been to. There really should not be any reason why people are poor and starving here. There are so many opportunities but in parts of Africa, there are not.

I have a message stuck on my laptop that my sweet hubby bought for me last year because he knows my heart for Africa. It states this;

where you live
should no longer determine
whether you live
~ Bono

Blessings and many thanks to you for being so bold!

Naomi

Kirstin C said...

AMEN!!! Thank you for getting on your soapbox... it looks very similar to mine! :) Is it okay if I link my blog to this post sometime in the coming weeks?

sierrasmom said...

Right on Sharla!!! I always tell people that when I was flying to China and I could look down and see the earth ...there where no boundaries dividing countries, states , towns,, so....we are one big earth that needs to help each other!!!
Kathie

sierrasmom said...

Right on Sharla!!!! I always tell people that when I was flying to China and I looked down at the earth ...there were no lines dividing countries. We are one world that should all help each other out!!!!
Kathie