Tuesday, February 17, 2009

"You Bought Me..."

This morning was one of those mornings that resonates in your heart all day. We were getting ready for school and I was giving the kids hugs. I continue to make a big deal out of hugging and explaining to Abby that this is just what we do in our family.

So she made a big deal out of Nick and Mackenzie being my babies (Zack had already gone to school)... And then out of the blue, she said, "You got them at hospital...you bought me!"

Whoa...where did that come from? How on earth was I supposed to handle that? So I smiled and said, "Abby, we didn't buy you, we adopted you... But if we had, that should make you feel so special that we would be willing to pay for you."

How do you explain to a 6 year old, that still doesn't understand the fullness of our language, that yes, it does cost money to adopt, but it also cost money to bring a child home from the hospital. I tried, but I'm just not sure she got it...

I have to think that maybe someone said this to her in China...or maybe someone said it to her here...I just don't know.

I can't wait though till I can explain to her about what Jesus did for us... 1 Corinthians 6:20 and 7:23, both teach us that we were bought for a price... He gave His life for us so that we could be the adopted children of our Abba Father... "Being bought," in God's economy is the ultimate expression of His love...

If you're reading this blog, I hope you can look towards heaven and say to your Abba Father, "You bought me." It's the greatest thing we can ever claim!

6 comments:

trina said...

Wow! Alaina has not asked that question yet. But people do all the time, ask how much they costs. You will have to let me know how she responds after you explain more.

Anonymous said...

Whoa was my exact response when I read that---Whoa!
Your parallel is beautiful and so right on, I had just never thought of it like that---we are all Abby.

Love you much,
Mom

Jeff said...

Amen!

Patientlywaiting said...

Wow, I too wonder where that came from, she is only 6!! I love your connection and I'm sure someday she will understand that we have all been bought by a loving father. For now, Claire is too young to express things like that but that may change as she gets older. I hear it all the time from complete strangers about the costs involved with adoption.

Hugs,
Robin

Ruthi said...

Well Sharla you got that a lot earlier than ever! I feel you more than answered correctly...I have Addie still ask me if she was in my tummy when i went to China...and i explain how it all works again....and again. Thank you for the lesson today! R

Chris said...

My six y.o., home since she was 9 mo, just recently ask if we bought her. She does have enough language, but I'm not sure about understanding... I did tell her it costs money to have any baby, you either pay the hospital or you pay an adoption agency. I tried to explain the doctors work so they get paid, the agency works so they get paid. I'm sure we are not finished with this yet. She seemed satisfied for now.