Thursday, April 16, 2009

We Seem To Be Getting Somewhere...

Attachment is a funny thing...baby steps forward...giant steps back...standing still for a while and then one day, magic...

The other day she came bounding in the door from school and said, "Mommy, I make you something." She immediately ran upstairs to where she loves to do crafts and I didn't see her for a while... When she reappeared, she had a beautiful card... The outside said, "Happy Spring You Mommy..." The inside was decorated with a heart and inside the heart, the words, "Love You."

My heart wanted to jump out of my chest and take flight... She'll say "I love you" in response to my saying it, but she's never written it in a card before...she's never seemed so eager to tell me... I wanted to take her in my arms so badly I could hardly stand it, but I didn't want to the spoil the moment by forcing it, so I said, "Abby this is so beautiful, may I please give you a hug?"

She looked at me for a moment and said, "I don't think so mommy." Oh well, I'll take "Love you" over a hug any day... I'm still trusting that the hugs will come...but on her terms.

Today, she brought me two envelopes, one for me and one for Scott. I was told that I couldn't open it until Scott came home, we had to open them together.

Inside... she had colored us each a beautiful cross... God is working in this precious child's heart to draw her to us, but even more importantly to draw her to Him!

Such simple moments that bring so much joy and hope that God is indeed at work!

4 comments:

Denise said...

How sweet! I am slowly catching up with my blog friends...

Patientlywaiting said...

Oh my, that story gave me goosebumps! God is working on her indeed!

Hugs,
Robin

Diane said...

WOW! That is great. God is Good!

sierrasmom said...

How sweet Sharla. I know that made your day. You are moving foward!!! God is helping it all along the way!!!
kathie