Saturday, September 6, 2008

In The Arms of My Father

There is an image from yesterday that I just can't get out of my head, or my heart for that matter...

Scott and I had gone up to the office so he could help me with a computer problem and Abby came looking for him. She raised her arms to him and when he picked her up, she snuggled into a good hug/hold.

I turned around and reached over to pat her leg and she kicked my hand away...a few minutes later, I rubbed her back and she whined a whine that said, "get away" and then she squirmed away from my touch...

In that moment, Abby wanted her daddy without distractions and that's ok...she wanted to nestle in and enjoy the strength, the comfort, the love, the security of those few quiet moments in her father's presence.

As I sat and watched this unfold, I was deeply moved by the thought that I need to be more like Abby...

I love the comfort, the peace, the love that I always find in the shelter of my Heavenly Father's arms but too often, I don't fight away the distractions. I allow the nudges of wayward thoughts to drag me away to the demands of the day and then the moment is lost... I leave refreshed, but not always fully satisfied.

And then there are the days, when I'm too busy to linger in His Presence at all, days when I don't climb, even for a few minutes, into His arms...

The moments with Abby and Scott didn't last long, but they were long enough for her to be assured of her daddy's love, to be refreshed and to move on with joy and laughter.

I need to take that image with me into every day and let it inspire me to seek My Father's arms, to linger there for a while and to fight off the things that pull me away.

Psalm 61:4 says, "I long to dwell in your tent forever and take refuge in the shelter of your wings."

No comments: